For many of the audiological tests and procedures it is important to have ear canals free of earwax, technically referred to as cerumen. Excessive cerumen blocking the ear canal can cause hearing loss, itching, irritation, pain, fullness.
Micro-suction is the safe, gentle way to unblock ears and remove ear wax.
- Our audiologist will use microscope and suction pump to clean your ear canal and remove wax. You will sit in a comfortable chair and a small metal funnel will be placed gently in your ear canal to enhance the view.
- Ear suction is carried out with a small sucker attached to a low-pressure suction machine that works like a gentle vacuum cleaner. Ear suction is noisy and you may feel a bit of discomfort. Occasionally mild dizziness may be experienced for a few seconds.
Taking Care Of Your Ears
- Ears basically like to be left alone, BUT some people are very prone to a build up of ear wax than others.
- Do not use cotton buds, hairpins etc. to get the ear wax out, you may cause damage or push the wax further in.
- Ear wax can cause itchy ears, try not to scratch, book a visit to us instead.
- Hearing aid wearers are more prone to a wax build up and often need a visit to us twice yearly.